Monday, January 10, 2011

Thank You, God That It's 2011!!!

Ever since we switched Michael from Duplos to the big boy Legos, he's been busy building up a storm! I love seeing all the interesting vehicles and animals he creates.  Sometimes, he looks at the Lego map thingy and builds off of what he sees and other times, he just does his own thing.  That's why I'm a HUGE fan of Legos.  It fosters creativity and it gives adults and older siblings a good reason to play, too! I'm thinking that I would use some of that million dollars (mentioned in a past blog) to buy Legos, too (I'm crazy about those houses!!!)!

I forgot to mention all the great fiction books I've been reading and have finished! I finished His Other Wife by Deborah Bedford (I'm a HUGE fan of Deb and loved this new one inspired by the biblical character Hannah), Save the Date by Jenny B. Jones (the dialogue had me constantly cracking up!) and Words by Ginny L. Yttrup (this was a moving story that's written on a subject that makes my blood boil) which will all be in my February edition of Five Star Books & More by The Reading Mom newsletter.  I just started The Amish Midwife by Mindy Starns Clark (another author I love!) and Leslie Gould and can't wait to get back into it!

This morning, the temperature in my car read 39 degrees.  No wonder our heat was running nonstop! I've been "breaking in" Krista's new coat (purchased to use for her school history trip) and I'm so glad she doesn't mind me wearing it since it keeps me warm and cozy! 

A couple years ago, I watched a PBS special called "Frontier House."  It was a reality show of sorts where families could go back in time and live as pioneers.  The families and couples that participated in this show had to leave all their modern conveniences behind.  I'm talking about important things like indoor plumbing, 100% cotton clothing, comfy shoes, grocery stores, etc.!  It was fascinating to watch them live their new lives after being used to modern day conveniences.  They had to work together to cut logs for their homes, grow their food (did I mention how much I hate gardening?!?), slaughter their chickens (eeeooowwwww!!!) and hand wash their clothes (I did that when I was in Antigua and hated it with a passion!)! No wonder they didn't own more than two pieces of clothing at a time! It was exhausting watching them put so much effort in order to do the simplest task.  It was really interesting to watch the series (watch is the operative word!) and every time I caught an episode, I was so thankful I wasn't there!!! I would have been kicked off the show because everyone in my family would have perish from hunger (coming up with meals are challenging enough without having to grow, grind or slaughter my food and then cook it over a fire pit) or have to go naked because I can't sew (remember I mentioned that before?!?).  

Better yet, I wouldn't have even considered being on the show because I NEED my indoor plumbing, electricity (hello, central air and heat!!!) and my washer and dryer!!! Which is why I don't do camping.  Unless it's at a five-star hotel.  I'm just saying.

God knew what He was doing when He created me AFTER indoor plumbing and electricity were invented.  And it goes without saying that I would have never survived as a pioneer woman.  My deepest respect, admiration and kudos go to Laura Ingalls Wilder and other incredibly brave and resourceful men and women who lived that life!!!

I'll end with the Amplified version of one of my favorite set of verses from Lamentations 3:22-23.
 
22It is because of the Lord's mercy and loving-kindness that we are not consumed, because His [tender] compassions fail not.

23They are new every morning; great and abundant is Your stability and faithfulness.