Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Merry Christmas...Whoops!!!

Over Christmas, we decided to make a new tradition in our family.  In past years, our children received three gifts on Christmas Day (I got the idea from my sister) representing the three gifts given by the Magi.  Then, following Christmas, the kids would receive a gift each day for the 12 days after Christmas thus extending Christmas for our family.

But for this year, we decided to celebrate the meaning of Christmas on the 25th of every month.  We planned to bring out the nativity, read the Christmas story and play Christmas music.  I would make something special for dinner or dessert and then Krista and Michael would both open one present (they're wrapped and waiting in my closet!).  It was intended for us to keep Christmas in our hearts intentionally all year long.


Now, of course, I just realized about 10 minutes ago that today is the 25th!!! Oh, stink!!! Okay, well, we'll have to try again on the 25th of February...!


I should have kept a tally for the amount of times Michael asked me that question! Early this morning, he begged for cookies, so I took out the butter and eggs.  He had very little appetite and couldn't understand why I wasn't baking immediately so he could have his cookies.  I think he was asking if the cookies were ready every five minutes.  I kid you not!

He would tell me (who can resist those bright eyes and pink cheeks?!?)... 

Michael: I'm so hungry for your cookies! Are they ready yet?   

Me:  Well, have you heard the mixer on yet?  

Michael:  No.

Me:  That means I haven't started yet, my little cubby bear.  Remember, the eggs need to be at room temperature before I can start baking.  Do you want to help me hold the eggs so they'll get warm faster? 

Michael:  Ummmm...no, I don't think so.

Me:  Then you'll have to wait a little longer.  It'll be soon, ok?

And then he would ask me the original question again several minutes later! I knew he wasn't feeling well when he didn't run and put on his little baker's apron (made by my friend Beth which came complete with the most adorable miniature kitchen tools) once I started adding the ingredients together.


And when they were finished cooling off, I had the happiest little camper on this side of the world! 


As a mother, I love doing things for Krista and Michael.  I love buying them little surprises, baking and making their favorite meals.  And just like Michael was persistent in his begging quest for cookies, I was only too happy to make them for him.  It reminded me of the verse in Matthew 7:7-11 (I'm going with The Message version)...


"Don't bargain with God. Be direct. Ask for what you need. This isn't a cat-and-mouse, hide-and-seek game we're in. If your child asks for bread, do you trick him with sawdust? If he asks for fish, do you scare him with a live snake on his plate? As bad as you are, you wouldn't think of such a thing. You're at least decent to your own children. So don't you think the God who conceived you in love will be even better?" 

I think we can all learn something about prayer from Michael's approach to getting cookies today, right?!?

Merry Christmas!!!