Tuesday, January 4, 2011

"Look At Me! I'm Lucky" And Other Snippets of Conversation

"Mommy! I went to the bathroom!" is normally something every toilet-training-in-progress-mother would be overjoyed to hear, right?!?  Except that Michael was in the tub.  And I happened to be in the hallway on my laptop in a live Elluminate session with a teacher from CAVA!
 
To my relief, he remembered to step out of the tub first. 

My plans were to work on Michael's blanket which my neighbor Pat helped me sew for Michael's birthday.  But then the size of the blanket motivated me to procrastinate the finishing touches on the blanket (Hello! What WAS I thinking to make such a huge blanket for him?!?).  I had some simple hand stitching to do (a partial blanket stitch) so I started working on it for his Christmas present.  But it's taken me about 3 hours to get one side and a half done so I abandoned the project.  Until tonight.

I have speared myself about a dozen times now.  I really need body armor or something because that needle is SHARP! It's been about 3 hours now and I still have a little more than one whole side left to do.  I'm thankful that Michael's PoPo Torey made him a similar size fleece blanket for his birthday (hers has this nice smooth finished edges all around the blanket making it look so polished.  Unlike mine, of course!) so he has a comfy blanket to sleep with.

Apparently, Michael had called for me while I was occupied and Jacob went in and brought him to our bed while I was trying to work on his blanket.  Michael kept rolling around on the bed and when I asked him what was going on, he replied, "I'm trying not to get poked by the needle!"  I assured him he was not in any danger of that happening.

I told him he needed to try to go to sleep (yeah, right) and when I looked over, his eyes were wide open.  I asked him why his eyes were open when he's supposed to be going to sleep and he told me this:  "This is the way I sleep."  O-k-a-y now.

I finally sent him downstairs to say goodnight to Jacob.  He came back a while later with a hand full of Cuties (those adorable little oranges).

Michael:  "Look at me, mommy! I'm lucky!"
Me:  "Why are you lucky?"
Michael:  "Because I get all these oranges to eat all by myself because I'm big now!  I'm four!" 

Yesterday, Michael did the funniest thing with Jacob.  Jacob whispered to him that it was time for his nap.  Michael pretended to have selective hearing issues and exclaimed with a huge grin on his face, "WHAT?!?  You want me to go play the piano?!?" This was repeated several times.

He had us all rolling in laughter! These are the mommy moments I cherish.

Psalm 127:3 says in the CEV, "Children are a blessing and a gift from the Lord."


Amen!