Thursday, January 13, 2011

Bargain Shopper's High

I really meant to blog yesterday, but by 10pm, I would barely keep my eyes open because for two nights in a row, I was wide awake until after 3am and then the night before, we had a nocturnal visitor (the one night I was finally able to sleep again!) that woke me up to the sounds of howling wolves and loud construction (Michael was banging his door because I had the safety door knob on).

Then, I went downstairs to heat my pillow (thank you Kerrie & Sierra!) in the microwave and ended up watching The Locater (have you seen that show?!?  It's seriously addicting!!!) until 12:30.  So much for my good intentions to sleep early!

Yesterday Michael and I were running errands and I stopped at Marshalls to look at what they had.  It's usually a hit or miss for me at Marshalls (usually more miss than anything else!), but I went to the luggage section to find a carry-on piece for Krista's upcoming school trip.

I couldn't believe my eyes!!! There in navy blue with white piping (very nautical!) was a carry-on by Nautica (retail price for $299) with a price of $9.99 from Marshalls.  At first I thought it was $99.99, but then after staring at it for :30 longer, I realized it did say $9.99! 

I brought it to the counter and I knew something was up when they whisked it away and all gathered around the price tag.  It confirmed my suspicions.  The Nautica bag was incorrectly priced.  After the manager was paged, he came and looked at it and then told the sales person that they had to honor the incorrect price tag.  People, it was Nautica and I got it for a steal!!! What a great feeling!!!

Of course, that is NOT going to be the bag Krista uses for the trip (we do have 3 other carry-ons she can choose from including her own :oD).  I may just save it for Michael when he outgrows his Thomas the Train carry-on...Maybe.

I finished The Amish Midwife by Mindy Starns Clark and Leslie Gould yesterday.  It was a great story with an intriguing mystery.  Today I started What Are You Waiting For? by Dannah Gresh (I love her and can personally vouch that she's godly and writes the best stuff on relevant topics like purity and modesty!!!) and I have to tell you, it blew me away. 

Hands down, this is the BEST book I have ever read on the topic of sex, romance and God.  This is a book for young women about the one thing no one ever tells you about sex.  Dannah shares a life-changing truth from scripture that I have NEVER EVER heard before.  And for single young women, knowing this truth has the power to transform their thoughts, dreams and decisions in future relationships and romance.  That's all I'm going to say because I'm saving it for my February review in Five Star Books & More by The Reading Mom newsletter.  Okay, three words...Get The Book (don't even bother waiting to read my review on the book and take my word that it's well worth the investment of $10.99 or whatever!!!)

Today I got to hear a Holocaust survivor (Yolanda Entz) share her testimony on God's protection and mercy in her life.  I was moved by her testimony and how she's turned her pain into something God uses to touch lives wherever she speaks at.  Yola lived most of her youth in fear and it made me think of the verse in Isaiah 41:10 that I memorized when I was a kid.  I like how The Message puts it...

"Don't panic. I'm with you.  There's no need to fear for I'm your God.
I'll give you strength. I'll help you.  I'll hold you steady, keep a firm grip on you." 

I don't know what you're going through, but I do know this.  God is with you, so let Him have your fears.  He will take care of you.