Friday, January 7, 2011

My New Year Begins Today

It's true.  I am officially 41 years old.  Today.  My back (thanks to a few herniated discs) feels like it's 51, but that's besides the point! So, I thought I would share 41 facts about ME so you can get to know me better (and so you'll have something tangible and in writing to remember about me when I die!).  I should clarify that they're not necessarily in any particular order except for the first couple...

1.  I am a believer and follower of Jesus Christ, God's Only Son, Our Savior.

2.  I am a mother of two AMAZING children:  Krista (13 who is still up and I'm wondering why...!) and Michael (4)

3.  I have been married for 16 years to Jacob who happens to be a great father, an amazing chef, provider, math wiz, etc. (there's very little he can't do well).

4.  My favorite color is blue, but my favorite color to wear is black.

5.  I was born in Massachusetts and grew up in Pennsylvania where the Chinese population were definitely the minority.

6.  I always wanted to live in California and now here we are!

7.  I worked in a Christian radio station for 11.5 years and met some wonderful people while working there.

8.  My favorite sister Mei lives in Indonesia with my favorite teen nephews and brother-in-law.

9.  My favorite aunt Mei lives in Maryland and better NOT be engaging in international affairs!!! I'm just saying.

10.  I'm not a morning person.  At all.  In fact, it drains my energy having to wake up early.  Thankfully, Jacob is a morning person and takes care of Michael before going to work at 7:30am.

11.  I like to sleep and be buried under lots of thick comforters!

12.  I love to read.  Reading uninterrupted is a hot commodity these days and pretty impossible at this season in my life...!

13.  I really love to write letters when I have no deadlines hanging over my head and other such responsibilities required of me (which interpreted means I don't really get to write to many because I'm too distracted by what needs to be done and what should have been done...yesterday!).

14.  On rainy days, I just want to stay in bed (obviously, in my dreams, right?!?)

15.  I enjoy classical music and instrumental music by Richard Clayderman.  But I also like music by groups like Audio Adrenaline, SonicFlood, Third Day, etc.

16.  I really like love talking!!! In fact, I only had two jobs in college that  allowed me to do lots of talking.  One was working as an admissions counselor and the other was being a campus tour guide (Hello, my name is Susan...!).  Being paid to talk is a great perk!

17.  I don't do window shopping.  If you can't buy, then why look?!?

18.  My favorite stores are Pottery Barn Kids, Barnes and Noble bookstores, Crate and Barrel,Hallmark Stores, Restoration Hardware, Papyrus, The Paper Source and of course, last but NOT least, The Container Store (why isn't there one closer here?!?).

19.  I am an undercover prankster at heart.  I have some great memories of pranks I played on unsuspecting friends while at BJU...!

20.  The only things I miss about NJ (where we lived prior to moving here) are friends, tax free shopping on shoes and clothes and full service gas stations!!! I had to learn how to put in my own gas when we moved here...ick.

21.  I don't drink coffee unless it's accompanied by LOTS of cream and sugar.  I'd rather have coffee ice cream though.

22.  Playing the piano de-stresses me.

23.  I really, really like Precious Moments, Hello Kitty, My Melody, Tuxedo Sam and Little Twin Stars!

24.  I had a rare form of heart murmur when I was born and should have died.

25.  I had an accident in '94 (which is the reason my back feels like it's 51!) which should have left me either paralyzed or dead (according to the medics) but instead, I was able to walk off once I was rescued.  I'm alive because of GOD!
 
26.  Which is part of the reason why I've come to embrace Jeremiah 29:11 so much.

27.  I have a younger brother whom I write letters to.  I email my sister and hope she's reading this blog since it's my way of "talking" to her!

28.  I used to keep a diary and would regularly update my last will and testament (I can't imagine what "worldly possessions" I had from 5th grade to 12th grade that anyone would want!).

29.  As a 41 year old, I really want to love mercy, do justice and walk humbly with God (thank you, Micah 6:8).

...To Be Continued after 8am (or whenever I have a chance to blog again!)...
p.s.  My latest book reviews are featured in my newsletter, Five Star Books & More by The Reading Mom! Just click on the tab that says, "Five Star Books And More Newsletter."