Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Toilet Training Success, Epic Piano Playing and Melaleuca Challenge Day 9

Michael has been on snack and electronics (watching DVDS, TV, playing the Wii, DS and Gameboy) restriction for the past two days...again.  Hmmmm...why do I feel like I've been on restriction, too?!?  What this means is that I've been hearing more drums, piano, poor quality jokes (and I do not lie to him by telling him they're funny, either!) and answering lots of questions on "Why can't I...?  Which then has me reminding him why his poor choices = poor consequences.  Obviously, he's not learning since he's an avid repeat offender.  You would think the daily reminders he's been getting would help, but his selective amnesia is kicking in again.  Aren't we like that, too?  We offend a Holy God, say we're sorry and then find ourselves doing the exact same thing...over and over! Well, as long as Michael chooses to make poor choices, he will be reminded lovingly and get his poor consequences until he starts choosing obedience.

I'm so relieved to tell you that Michael is finally using the toilet appropriately for a four-year old.  Whew! For a while there, I wasn't sure if we'd ever get out of disposables! He sleeps in his training underwear during naps and overnight and we've been accident free nearly immediately (all that coaching about getting up to use the toilet which is right by his bed definitely helps!).  It also helps that he doesn't like to be in wet clothes so that may have expedited the sleeping overnight-with-little-underwear training process a bit.  Now I just have to get him used to using the regular toilets so when we're out and about and I happen to forget the portable travel toilet, we won't be in panic mode.  Success...finally!

This morning, Michael was playing the piano a little too enthusiastically.  I asked him to go gentle on the keys and he proceeded to turn off the volume, play like a concert pianist while declaring, "Look at me, mommy! This is epic piano playing!"  Air piano, anyone?!?  He is a hoot!

I have nothing new to report about my Melaleuca Challenge except that I just gave Krista an allergy tablet this morning because her allergies have been really bad.  I'll see how she feels when I pick her up from school today.  I think I'm extra tired in the mornings because Michael has been waking up about twice a night (ever since he had Pneumonia) for reasons that are just inane! Which is why he has been getting daily reminders for his lack of obedience and put on continuous restriction...

We just finished reading our three books (he's loving Little Rose of Sharon by Nan Gurley and The Dragon and the Turtle books by Donita K. Paul and Evangeline Denmark) and now he's drawing his favorite Miss Carol at church a picture to thank her for his Easter treat that's in the freezer while he's on restriction.

I love being a mom but there are days when I just need silence so I can work on some of my stuff without countless interruptions.  I feel terrible saying that, but that's the harsh realities of a selfish mom.  Who's trying to reform...!

It's why verses like those in Philippians 2:3-4 convict me so much! Here's what it says in the Amplified Bible:
"Do nothing from factional motives [through contentiousness, strife, selfishness, or for unworthy ends] or prompted by conceit and empty arrogance. Instead, in the true spirit of humility (lowliness of mind) let each regard the others as better than and superior to himself [thinking more highly of one another than you do of yourselves].Let each of you esteem and look upon and be concerned for not [merely] his own interests, but also each for the interests of others."

Say NO to selfishness!