Friday, May 20, 2011

"Krista, Your Battery is at 30% Power..."

Michael and I baked for our LOMSAA Open House tomorrow.  The recipe I wanted to make (Vanilla cupcakes) needed a cup of milk and we were out, so Michael and I ran to the store, picked up milk and came home.  I decided to put together the dry ingredients first for the cupcakes and to my dismay, discovered that the self-rising flour was MIA! Okay, this is SO annoying!!! Note to Self:  Never assume all your ingredients are in the baking cabinet when other members of the family like to raid the cabinet for things they're making, too! And while searching high and low for the Self-Rising flour, I found that I was nearly out of confectioner's sugar which I needed for my frostings! AAARRRGGGHHHHH! Well, I was so not running back out to the store again, so, I decided to experiment and try out this Red Velvet cupcake recipe I've been dying to try out anyway.  I started making it and then read the part about adding in the red food coloring.  Whoa! I had no idea it used so much red food coloring and naturally, I only had half the amount I needed.  Of course, right?!?

Then, I over mixed the batter (which is a "no-no" in the world of cupcake baking) because I let the mixer run while I was putting the liners in the cupcake pans.  I quickly stopped the machine and scooped up the batter into a zip lock bag so I could squeeze the batter out into each liner, but the bag slipped after I cut the bottom corner off and some of the batter squirted out onto the tiled floor!

I shooed Michael out of the kitchen (I knew I would never get red velvet cake batter out of his white socks!) and proceeded to clean the mess.  Once everything was cleaned up, I got the liners filled and popped them in the oven.  Now the recipe says to bake for 20 - 25 minutes so I set the timer for 20 minutes.  But, it wasn't enough time so I added 3 minutes.  Some of the cupcakes kind of erupted (I have no idea why they do that!) so Michael got to sample those.  He loved them! He was like, "Mommy, can I have more?  That one doesn't look good and I can eat it for you, okay?"  In your dreams, kiddo! Three cupcakes are enough so stop hoping there are more available! But I'm not sure if I can trust his judgment because he seems to have no discriminating tastebuds when it comes to things with sugar, so I put a few in a baggie for Krista.  I needed to know if they were sweet enough since I always cut the sugar.  I needed to know if they were too dry because I can't eat them to check them out with my wheat allergy issues.  So, yes, I depend on reliable taste testers and Krista will definitely deliver on that count!

Krista was rehearsing at church for the Open House production so we brought her lunch and watched a little.  It's going to be FABULOUS tomorrow! I hope you can come and see this!!! Diana Anderson is brilliant!!! After school, I took the kids to the store (again!) to pick up self-rising flour because I needed to make another batch of mini cupcakes.  I was determined to make those vanilla ones! After getting home and unloading the groceries, I realized that the Red Velvet cupcakes needed cream cheese frosting and I had forgotten to get more confectioner's sugar! AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH...again! I'm telling you, today, my brain was on hiatus and it was not a good feeling.

I went on and made the Vanilla cupcakes and while they were cooling, Michael and Krista got to taste test them after dinner.  Krista was working on mock trial stuff for tomorrow and she went away from the computer.  Michael zoomed in and was doing something to it.  Just as I was about to ask him to step away from the computer, he declared, "Krista's battery is at 30% power.  She needs to charge it."  Okay now.  Is it just me or is it kind of scary when a 4 year old can look at the battery icon on the computer and calmly state what battery power it's at?!?

Of course, when Krista returned back to her computer and found Michael there, she immediately asked him not to touch it and he told her about her battery power.  When Krista checked it, she was amazed that he was so close to what power was actually at---it was at 37%!

Once I put Michael down, Krista and I ran to the mall, picked up a shirt for tomorrow and then went back to the store for the third time today and picked up confectioner's sugar.  I made a cream cheese frosting for the Red Velvet cupcakes and a lightly sweetened frosting for the Vanilla cupcakes.  And then I'm going to try making cream puffs tomorrow.  But for now, I'm going to bed!

Seeing the kids all work together, sing and dance today made me think of Romans 15:5-6.  I love how the New Living Translation puts it..." 5 May God, who gives this patience and encouragement, help you live in complete harmony with each other, as is fitting for followers of Christ Jesus. 6 Then all of you can join together with one voice, giving praise and glory to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ."

Now that's what I saw in LOMSAA today! Be blessed!!!