Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Why Read When You Can Snuggle Under The Blankets And Watch Diego?!?

This morning while Michael was playing with the nativity set, I got to start The Preacher's Bride by Jody Hedlund.  The story was captivating! It's inspired by the real-life story of John Bunyan's wife Elizabeth who stood by him during trying circumstances.  I didn't get too far before Michael needed some reading time with me.  Then we played with his numbers flashcards followed by a drawing and writing project (he's really into spelling every word he hears these days!).  I'm so amazed by his hunger for learning and his passion for numbers and words.  Sometimes my brain gets exhausted keeping up with him!

But the best part?  It was hands down getting to snuggle with him under the blankets (he declared he was tired this morning after keeping us up all night! How ironic is that?!?) while watching Diego together.  I love that he's so cuddly! I'm enjoying it while I can because I know it will be too soon when he's past the snuggling-with-mommy stage.

Cherish these moments.  In a blink of an eye, everything can change so quickly.  It can be a life-threatening disease.  A sudden death.  An accident.  And during this busy season, take the time to...Breathe.  Play.  Hug.

In the Amplified Bible in James 4:14, we're reminded about the brevity of life with this verse, "Yet you do not know [the least thing] about what may happen tomorrow. What is the nature of your life? You are [really] but a wisp of vapor (a puff of smoke, a mist) that is visible for a little while and then disappears [into thin air]."

So make the time to let your loved ones at home (and those away from home) know you love and appreciate them.  Be authentic in your relationships.  Explore ways to bless others with random acts of kindness.  Go out of your way to reach out to someone at church you don't know.  Don't just stay on the sidelines watching other...Participate and be a part of the action, too! Go M.A.D. (Make A Difference)!!! By the way, that's not original---that's from years of listening to Ron Hutchcraft (I love that man and his passion for Christ and kids!!!) when I was in radio.

You get the idea, right?  GO!!!

P.S.  Tonight I finished The Preacher's Bride.  You'll find a review of it in my next edition of Five Star Books and More newsletter here on this blogsite on the first Friday in January.