Thursday, December 23, 2010

4 Things I Love About You

Today, I was woken up by our new 4-year old who exclaimed, "Look, mommy! I have a Thomas game on my DS!" And because of the game (thank you, Jacob) Michael wasn't even interested in opening up any of his presents! I told him that because it was his birthday, he could play his DS (20 minutes at a time), but after his birthday, the DS is only available when I'm in a meeting or on a long road trip.  Later on in the morning, he was putting together his puzzle and he told me, "I don't really need to play with the DS because I have my legos and puzzle!" Now that's music to my ears!

It's hard to believe that 4 years ago, Michael arrived in our family with the limbs of a scrawny chicken (thankfully, he did have little chubby cheeks so that made up for those skinny little legs).  But we loved him and thought he was the most adorable baby boy ever!!!

My pregnancies have always been met with doubt, denial and then shock.  Yes, and in that order, too.  See, part of the thing is that I've never had the throwing up factor that comes alongside with most pregnancies.  There's no clue except for strange patterns in my cycle and that is normal when I'm under stress anyway and being tired (which can be normal when I stay up too late which happens pretty frequently).  And both times, I was under stress (some deadline or something of that nature!).  

My sister was the one who urged me to get a pregnancy test when we discovered Krista was growing inside me for about 3 months.  And then 9 years later, my friend Un encouraged me to get the pregnancy test when we found out about Michael when he was nearly 3 months, too.

And, every time, I was definitely doubtful, a little in denial and then flat out shocked that I was pregnant.  I don't know why, but I just am! It takes me the entire 9 months (actually 10 months) to get used to the idea I'm having a baby (hey, I'm a slow learner!) and then I'm ready! 

I'm a BIG fan of epidurals.  In fact, when they were preparing to put the IV in, I immediately asked for an epidural first.  Go figure, but  I h-a-t-e needles.  Especially when I can see them.  My veins are always MIA because of my eczema and I always have a list of questions for the nurse who's in charge of finding my veins (how long have you been up now?  How long have you been doing IVs?  Is that the smallest needle you have because I need the super small one! Are you tired because if so, I need another nurse to do this!)Yep, I admit that I'm a big wimp when it comes to needles and the pain they inflict.

To me, the worse part of the pregnancy and delivery is the blood work requirements and the IVs and some post delivery issues which I will not go into...!  

But enough of this pregnancy walk through memory lane....
  
Michael Christopher Lee is our favorite son.  He just is (when you hear his little voice and see his cute little dimples, you'll understand why!).  I love how sweet and cuddly he still is.  He loves to be held, read to, and snuggled under the blankets with me.  

I love his tender heart for the things of God especially when he says in a voice of awe, "That's from God's Holy Word!" His prayers are the best!

I love hearing him talk (he has so much to say.  I think he gets it in the genes!) and watching him build with his Legos, Tinker Toys, Thomas the Train tracks, working on his puzzles or drawing his pictures.  He loves to draw and use tape.  Lots of it.  

But most of all, I love his hugs and kisses.   He loves with a pure heart and he's a quick forgiver.  I love being Michael's mommy.

Psalm 127:3 says it best from the Contemporary English Version of the Bible: "Children are a blessing and a gift from the LORD."

Good Night!