Monday, December 20, 2010

Ostentatious Oompaloompas Oogling Ordinary Oropendolas

I love unique titles, so I thought i would give you a fun tongue twister with some of my favorite "O" words (not that I've used the word "oropendolas" lately!)!

I've been in a "random" mood all day, so don't expect this blog to be cohesive at all times!


Yesterday when I was going through the books I finished reading lately, I forgot to add Kim Vogel Sawyer's Courting Miss Sawyer to the list.  If you're a fan of historical fiction, then I think you should add it to your reading list, too! Oh, if you didn't already know, Borders in Newbury Park is closing and all the faith-based fiction books are 40% off.  Happy Shopping!


I learned an important lesson today.  Chicken stock from the can is not the same as making your own chicken soup (I love making chicken soup from the rotisserie chickens from Costco!).  Bleh.  I decided soup was what I needed for my throat (lots of coughing last night), but my taste buds were extremely disappointed.  Plus, a surplus of pepper doesn't help either.


I finished a book with this warning on the front cover:  "This book will break your heart."  Where the River Ends by Charles Martin is a powerful love story that had me crying like a baby.  I was so proud that I hadn't shed a tear as I was reading and then I got to page 343 and lost it.  So much for trying to prove the warning wrong.

This morning, Michael discovered my new laptop (an early Christmas present from Jacob).  When he found out that Jacob had given it to me (it's actually not just mine but it's for the entire family), he decided he would work on a "project" writing a note to daddy.  I don't know what the note said, but I love his heart! 


The other day, it was really foggy.  Michael was so alarmed when he looked out the garage that I heard him exclaim, "Call 911! There's a fire out there!" Thanks to recent episodes in a Fireman Sam DVD, he's been overly concern about our house burning down.  While driving back from school another day, he saw smoke from someone's chimney and was sure it was burning up.  He wanted my phone so he could call 911! My life would be so boring without my children!

Lately, we've been talking about Jesus being the light of the world.  We love looking at everyone's Christmas lights and what better way to use their brightness at nighttime as an illustration to help Michael understand the contrast between light and darkness.

In John 8:12 (I like how the Contemporary English version puts it), Jesus says "I am the light of the world! Follow me and you won't be walking in the dark.  You will have the light that gives life."


The world attempts to hide the true meaning of Christmas by distracting our children with presents, Santa, Christmas lights, candy canes, etc.  And while these are part of our Christmas memories, I want to make sure my children see Jesus in all these things.  What the world intends to use to distract, I want to use them to point back to Christ.  That's why I love books like The Parable of the Christmas Tree, The Story of the Candy Cane, "J is for Jesus (a upside down candy cane is on the front!)", etc.

Let's make sure it's all about HIM.