Friday, December 10, 2010

"Mommy, May I Stay Up All Night?" And Other Outrageous Things Children Say

This week so far has been crazy busy (scary, because it's not even over yet!).  I think Michael has been feeling the effects of it because I notice he's been pushing the limit this past week.  Yesterday morning, he didn't like me telling him to not turn on the fan in my room.  So he went downstairs.  I followed him and didn't see him from the stairs.  So I did what every mother has been known to do...

Me:  Michael, where are you?  Silence.  And then, he pops out from behind the tree and says this...
Michael:  I'm hiding from YOU! Okay, now.  We had a nice little conversation about attitude adjustments and a warning about inappropriate behavior and making poor choices which lead to reminders... 

Here's more crazy things I've heard from Michael this week...
"Mommy, I'm not hungry for that lunchI just want to eat these cookies for my lunch."  Step away from the cookies, Michael.  Three is enough!

" Why can't I open this present now?  It's Christmas today."  In your dreams!

"Why isn't it Easter now, Mommy?"  It's not even Christmas yet and you want to know why it's not Easter?!?

"I didn't know I did a stinky.  It just came out!" This is a classic case of NOT listening to your body.


Yesterday, Michael told me this in the car..."Mommy, I'm so wide awake that I want to stay up all night.  Can I?" Hello! You wish! And what do you think I said?!?  Me:  "Not tonight, Michael.  But you can ask me again when you learn to use the bathroom yourself, okay?"  Unfortunately, this was NOT motivating enough for him to even desire using the bathroom himself.  Oh well!

You know, what comes out of our mouths can be a pretty clear indicator of what's going on inside us.  I love how the Amplified Bible phrases Luke 6:45, "The upright (honorable, intrinsically good) man out of the good treasure [stored] in his heart produces what is upright (honorable and intrinsically good), and the evil man out of the evil storehouse brings forth that which is depraved (wicked and intrinsically evil); for out of the abundance (overflow) of the heart his mouth speaks."

Have you gotten a heart check lately?