Thursday, December 23, 2010

The Last Supper

I've been struggling with laryngitis for the past couple of days.  Today, I could barely squawk.  When I gesture and point frantically to my throat, 95% of everyone who knows me seems to casually remark that it must be because I've been talking too much.  Now why in the world would they come to that conclusion?!?

I'm trying to reserve my voice (though Krista commented tonight that I'm still talking even when I can't and I confess I am!) for tomorrow.  It's Michael's BIG day because he turns...four years old!!! 

On his last day as a three year old, we heard thunder (the angels in Heaven are playing the drums in the worship band!) and experienced torrential downpour while we were in Arcadia and then later again in Japantown.  He tasted his first cream puff today and had yogurt from Yogurtland after lunch.  He drew a track and some trains while waiting for his last "supper" as a three year old (chicken tenders at Blue Stove). 

Lately, he's been telling me he wants to be 100 years old.  I have no idea where he gets these random thoughts, but in tonight's devotions, there was a picture of Abraham when he was nearly 100 years old.  Michael decided rather quickly that he just wanted to be 10 and not 100 now!

Isn't it interesting how when we're young, we can't wait to grow up but when we're finally grown up, we wish we were young again?!?  Actually, I'm glad I don't have to re-live my childhood, being stuck in my ugly stage F-O-R-E-V-E-R as a teenager, having PE, homework, exams, etc.  I wouldn't mind re-living my college years again, but that's about it.

I so love my stage of life right now! I love being a mommy to my two children...on most days! I love watching Krista blossom into a lovely teenager (I'm glad she's bypassed the UGLY and awkward teenage years.  I have no idea where she gets her gracefulness from!) with her classic sense of style (unlike me and we are definitely not going there right now).  I still long to sleep in, finish a project in one sitting, read uninterrupted, etc. but all those things will happen too soon.  So I'm savoring motherhood and I'm grateful for the memories we are making every day as a family. 

Finally! I love that my voice came back enough for me to give Michael the blessing (even if I sounded like a frog with a mouth full of gravel), pray with him and give him a final "I love you!" hug and kiss before putting him down for the night. 

I was praying for contentment today because it's so frustrating not being able to talk!!! Besides being tickled to death and having no access to electricity, indoor plumbing, my GE washer & dryer (I love those machines!!!) or running water, to me, I consider not being able to talk at will sheer torture!!!

But the words of the apostle Paul keep echoing in my head...

"Not that I am implying that I was in any personal want, for I have learned how to be content (satisfied to the point where I am not disturbed or disquieted) in whatever state I am."  Philippians 4:11 (Amplified Bible)

So, in the event I can't talk again tomorrow (eeks!), I'll take it as a sign from God that I need to stop interrupting while you're talking and to learn to be contently silent! Again.  Even if it kills me.

And it might!