Saturday, April 16, 2011

Oh. My. Stars.

Krista just got back from the Revolve Conference in Ontario, CA (thank you, Hauter family!) and told me about a weird encounter she had this morning that you are NOT going to believe...

This morning at the hotel, Krista was sitting at a table having breakfast when this lovely African-American family came in to the dining room.  Krista told me they had 4 adorable little girls.  As they passed her, one of the cute little girls said in a loud voice to her mom as she pointed to Krista, "Mommy, look! It's a Japanese person.  But mommy, why is there a Japanese person here?  Don't they live in Japan?And her mom replied loud enough for Krista to hear, "Honey, don't point.  Some Japanese people live in America but they should stay in Japan."

Are you for real?!? I asked Krista what she did (I was hoping she stood up straight and tall and politely informed the family she was NOT Japanese, but an American born Chinese and that she had the same rights to live in America as they did!) and she said she couldn't help but laugh over it.  Then the little girl kept staring at her until Krista smiled, waved to her and said "Hi!" to her (shocking the poor child senseless, I'm sure!!!) and the little girl told her mom that the "Japanese person" waved to her! Krista didn't hear the mother's reply (probably a good thing!).

I'm thinking Krista's reaction (which would have been SO opposite of mine!!!) made me realize...
1.  She needs to learn to defend herself verbally (learning a few quick Karate kicks wouldn't hurt, either!!!) or she'll be an easy target for bullies. 

2.  She probably protected herself from more verbal assaults by her non defensive manner.  You can't change the opinion of prejudice people overnight.

I like how the Amplified Bible puts Proverbs 18:2 and Proverbs 10:18...

Prov 18:2 "A [self-confident] fool has no delight in understanding but only in revealing his personal opinions and himself."

Prov 10:18 "He who hides hatred is of lying lips, and he who utters slander is a [self-confident] fool."

Based on those two verses, I believe Krista had one of her first encounters with some self-confident fools.

And [Krista], I am not being mean.  I'm just quoting what the Bible says about people who are full of prejudice and anger.  Those two verses hit the nail on the head so I rest my case.