Friday, March 11, 2011

"Can I Exercise Now?" and Other Crazy Questions from a Four-Year-Old Poster Child for Exercise & Fitness

Today was such a fun day! We started out with MOMSnext this morning where Elaine delivered a very convicting lesson about "No other gods."  While I was in session, Michael was with his very favorite teacher, Miss Muriel learning about how Jesus performed a miracle on a little boy who was sick with a high fever.  After MOMSnext, we went out to lunch with my friend Beth, her kids & mom, Rhonda.  It was fun and the best part of lunch was ending with yogurt at TuttiFrutti!  I came home and got to catch up with some very special people in my life via Verizon (including my sweet Krista who is having an AMAZING time in Philly with her class!).  

Isn't it so sad about the news of the earthquake in Japan?  I cannot even imagine how frightening it was.  Join me in praying for all the Christians living in that area of Japan.

Well, I confess I haven't been on the Wii Fit Plus since my brother-in-law and nephew Daniel were visiting.  I feel so lazy and great! I'm sure I'm horrifying all my friends who are exercise fiends! Consequently, I've had more time to read! I finished all the youth fiction books I mentioned in my last blog along with Bathsheba by Jill Eileen Smith (the third book in The Wives of King David series).  I'll share more about it in my newsletter Five Star Books & More in April.  Now I'm reading Tea for Two by Trish Perry (my downstairs book) and upstair's I'm reading "Abigail's New Hope by Mary Ellis.  Both books are great so far! I can't wait to finish them...maybe tonight!

It's not a secret that Michael loves to run the Wii himself.  In fact, he asked if he could exercise tonight.  Come on! What's a mom to say when her child wants to exercise, right?!?  "Of course you can," I told him! Then I noticed he went right to Wii Play and not Wii Fit Plus.  Hmmmm.... When I questioned him about his definition of exercise, he exclaimed, "Mommy, this is exercising! I'm exercising my arms!" And I really couldn't argue with that because he's always swinging the remote with his arms and the rest of his body no matter what game he's playing!


Tonight, I watched him play Sword Play and he knocked everyone down (shaking that remote like a crazy man is apparently a good strategy!) and won! But, after thinking about it more, I've come to the conclusion that this game is too violent (I don't think children know how to separate knocking down pretend people from reality and I don't want to get reports from his teachers at church that's he's beating everyone up or something!) even though there isn't any blood involved.  The concept of "knocking" out people with a sword is NOT child play.  I don't want him to think it's okay to pretend to kill because that's what he's doing when he's controlling his Mii in Sword Play even though it's comical to watch. This is only his second time playing Sword Play, but I'm going to have to break the news to him tomorrow since he's in bed now.

I'm thinking of the verse in Philippians 4:8 and I love how the Amplified Bible puts it:  "For the rest, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is worthy of reverence and is honorable and seemly, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely and lovable, whatever is kind and winsome and gracious, if there is any virtue and excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think on and weigh and take account of these things [fix your minds on them]."

Way to pack a punch in my conscience, Paul!