Thursday, December 29, 2011

"I Object!" and "Will You Pray For Me About My Fears?" Funny & Sweet Things a 5-Year-Old Says!

It would be really nice to sit through a meal without having to coax Michael to eat more than two bites! As soon as we're finished praying over the meal, this is what I can expect...

Michael:  Do I have to eat the whole thing?  Can I eat this half of my bowl (of course he has divided up the food into two unequal proportions!)?

Me:  Do you want to eat the bigger half or just the chicken and vegetables?

Michael:  All the chickens and vegetables?  I don't like those green things.  Can I just eat the carrots?

Me:  Okay, you can eat everything or just the chicken and vegetables.  Your choice.

Michael: [Sigh.] I'll eat the chicken and the vegetables.  But why not just five bites since I'm 5 years old now?

Ironically, we never seem to have any portion issues when it comes to snacks, desserts and fun foods!

Michael has been going around saying "I object!" whenever he hears something from Krista he doesn't like such as...

Michael:  Krista, the iPad is at 0%.  Can I play with your iTouch?

Krista:  No, you can't play with my iTouch.

Michael:  I object!

It did get out of hand when he tried to use that on Jacob and me, but we nipped it in the bud.  "No" is not something you ever say to your parents in this household!

Tonight Michael was worried that he couldn't sleep because he was thinking of a Magic School Bus TV episode on bats and this scary castle with Miss Frizzle.  We talked about God being bigger than all his fears and later he asked me if I would pray for him about his fears.  I loved that! I had him pray first and then I prayed over him.  When I left, I told him to think about the manger scene and about all the shepherds and their little sheep.  I wanted him to learn to replace his scary thoughts with good thoughts when going to bed.

Before I left his room, I encouraged him to count shepherd's sheep --- yes, all 100 of them and see how far he could get by counting like this:  1 little sheepy.   2 little sheepy.  3 little sheepy... you get the idea! He's going to give me a report tomorrow morning and tell me how many sheep he counted up to!:o)

I'm so happy that Michael is learning to go to God with his fears at 5 years old! Someday, I will teach him Isaiah 41:10.  I like how The Amplified Bible puts it....

"Fear not [there is nothing to fear], for I am with you; do not look around you in terror and be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen and harden you to difficulties, yes, I will help you; yes, I will hold you up and retain you with My [victorious] right hand of rightness and justice."

So, what's keeping you up at night?  Try journaling a prayer to God and give Him your fears, your worries and concerns.  He's always listening :o)