Friday, September 2, 2011

"Will You Be Around When I'm 100 Years Old?" and Other Questions From a 4.5 Year Old

I'm happy to report that Michael can now hold his bladder so good-bye (and good riddance!) to the days of stopping for a bathroom break every 10 - 12 minutes!!! I won't miss it one bit either!!!

Yesterday, I asked Michael to help me put everything away neatly before going to bed.  Let me show you what he did...
This is what's left after he was asked to remove and return all the couch cushions to their rightful place!


This ottoman used to close until Michael decided to dump a ton of extra things from the play room and the living room.  Later, we found all the remotes, some baby/toddler toys, a box of coasters and his art box in there, too!

Michael loves to pretend he's baking.  Lately, he's informed me that he's making me gluten-free cakes and cookies! I love how thoughtful he is even when he's pretending!!!

We're in the car a lot these days and Michael is always full of questions.  Lately, he's been obsessed with age issues.  This is what I hear on a regular basis...

Michael:  Will you be around when I'm 100 years old, mommy?

Me:  Definitely no!

Michael:  Okay, how about when I'm 20?

Me:  Probably! Let's just enjoy how old you are now, okay?

Michael:  I'm five years old.

Me:  No, you're not!

Michael:  Yes, I am! I just celebrated my birthday!

Me:  Michael, your birthday is in December.  You can't pick any day to be your birthday.  That's not how it works.  Besides, if you were five, you would have gotten a lot more immunizations by now.

Michael:  Are those shots?

Me:  Yep.

Michael:  Then I want to be 3 forever.

Me:  Sorry, buddy, but that's not how it works.  Once you're 4 years old, you can't go backwards in age.

Michael:  Yes, I can!

Me:  O-k-a-y, then.  Now it's time to listen to Adventures in Odyssey...

Ah....ya gotta love a 4-year-old's logic! I love this stage of his life.  He's learning to do so much on his own, but yet, he still loves to settle in my lap and be read to.  He loves to fill up the water bottles and be responsible, and still snuggle on the couch with me.  Sometimes, he mimics what we say and it comes out like this:

Michael:  I don't want to play on the iPad today.  That's too much electronics for me.

And then in the next minute...

Michael:  I haven't exercised in a long time! I need to practice my rowing squats on the Wii! Can I please, oh please, play on the Wii, mommy?

Thanks to this blog, I can capture some of these memories for Michael since he's not going to get many pictures of himself!!! I love how Michael loves other little children.  He loves to help and he loves giving hugs to his favorite people in the world!!!

I'm so thankful Krista is loving high school and meeting so many new friends.  I'm watching her go out of her comfort zone and she's growing because of it.  I'm encouraging her to live each day like it's her last day on earth.

In 1 Timothy 4:12, Paul encourages Timothy with these words, "Let no one despise or think less of you because of your youth, but be an example (pattern) for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, and in purity."

 In the years to come, I can't wait to hear the stories of how she and her LOMSAA friends have impacted their world for good!