Saturday, September 24, 2011

"I See An Elephant That Looks Awkward"

Michael and I were waiting in the car while Krista was skating.  The computer ran out of juice so I put the seats down so we could lay back and look up at the trees and sky.  We used the binoculars to look for squirrels in the trees (I keep them in the glove compartment and they sure do come in handy!).  We used them for looking at the birds on the roof of the rink.  And then we just laid back and looked at the sky and looked for cloud pictures as one cloud slowly drifted by.  I saw a dog.  He saw an elephant that looked awkward.  Where in the world does a 4.5 year old get that?!?  An awkward elephant?!?  Seriously?!? Don't you just love children with imagination?!?

There are so many things in a day that make me laugh!!!  I guess it also helps that I'm easily amused.  Michael and I have been playing Bingo lately.  The game goes on and on!!! It's a great way for him to learn his numbers...and teach me patience!!! Plus, he learns that he's not going to win at every game and that it's okay.  Sometimes you win and sometimes you don't.  I'm not the parent that lets him win at everything because that's unrealistic and it will be a rude awakening when they play games with their peers and lose to them.  I want him to learn about good sportsmanship and it's important that he learns to lose gracefully.  Heavens knows I've perfected that since I stink at most games!  But it's fun!!!


Krista turns 14 on Monday and Michael will be 5 a few days before Christmas.  Life seems to be on fast forward as I try to memorize their faces and expressions at this age in time.  Forget the camera and camcorder.  The moment it comes out, their expressions move from natural to staged.  And of course, Michael is at the stage where he wants to make silly faces every time we have the camera out! I lament over all the great pics I've failed to capture!!! Oh well!

I'm currently reading Vickie McDonough's Long Trail Home downstairs and Mercy Come Morning by Lisa Tawn Bergren.  The latter is about a mom with Alzheimer's who doesn't recognize her daughter.  Whew! I am so thankful that God will always remember us.  In the ESV (English Standard Version), Isaiah 49:15-15 puts it like this... " 
15 "Can a woman forget her nursing child,
   that she should have no compassion on the son of her womb?
Even these may forget,
   yet I will not forget you.
16Behold, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands;
   your walls are continually before me."

What a comfort to know that you and I will never be forgotten by God!