Sunday, September 25, 2011

The Night Before...14

I'm beginning to believe that stuffed animals do come alive at night.  Before you think I've gone off the deep end, hear me out!  For the past few days, Michael has been waking up with a new scratch or bump on his face.  Today, I finally had a conversation with him about it...

Me:   Michael, what's going on when you're supposed to be going night night?  Are you fighting with the animals in your bed?!?

Michael:  What do you mean?

Me:  You've been waking up with owies on your face and now you have one on your lip this morning.

Michael:  Oh, I guess you're right! I have been fighting with my animals because they started it first.

Clearly, we need to have a heart to heart chat! On weekends, Michael gets to play games on the iPad and for the first time, Krista wanted to play on it, too.  It's comical listening to them because they both need to learn patience and all I keep hearing is Michael saying, "Is it my turn yet?"  You gotta love it!!!

Tomorrow, Krista will be turning 14.  It has been an incredible journey so far!!! She is changing so quickly now that she has braces, wears contacts and has her ears pierced.  She is everything I would want to have in a daughter because after all, she's a girl after my own heart!!!

But I remind myself that she's not really mine to "keep" because she's God's girl.  I only have her for a short time and I must cherish the time and train her to stand on her own while growing in her faith. 

I love how the Amplified Bible puts Proverbs 22:6..."Train up a child in the way he should go [and in keeping with his individual gift or bent], and when he is old he will not depart from it."

Parenting isn't about control and proving your authority.  It's about pointing your child/children to Christ by consistently living His Word to them.  Parenting means you'll mess up and make big time mistakes, but be willing to own up to your wrongs and ask for forgiveness from them.  Show them Jesus by spending time in His Word so you can be a doer of the Word and not just a hearer of it.  Thanks, James (James 1:22)!