Monday, September 26, 2011

She's 14 Today!!!

My biggest fears about childbirth involved needles (you'd be surprise at how many blood samples are needed and then finding the vein for the IV...OUCH!!!) and embarrassing myself in front of the nurses and doctors.  I know, I know! Now I know that by the time you have your first child, nothing can possibly embarrass you anymore!

Let me share a snippet of my delivery story...Krista came 3.5 weeks early.  I hadn't stopped working yet and was going to see the doctor for yet another urine sample (TMI, right?!?) and uncomfortable exam (I will NOT go into detail!!!).  I expected to be in and out again so I could continue my afternoon show until I got off the air at 6pm.  But the exam was taking forever! I didn't know what tests Dr. Udeshi was running, but I needed to leave so I asked her why she had hooked me up to the monitor and could I please get off and get going.  That's when she informed me I was in labor.  Oh.  Really??? I expected labor to feel painful and I wasn't feeling any differently than before.  I told her I had to go and finish my show and that's when she asked if I wanted to give birth at the radio station.  I did a quick inventory of who would still be there when I got back and having to lay down on nasty carpets... My answer was definitely a NO Thank you!!!

We finally compromised.  I would check into the hospital the moment I finished the show and call her when I was there.  When I got back to the station and casually told my manager that I was in labor, we decided I would tape the last hour of the show and check in at the hospital since having a baby a the station wasn't an option.  Ewwwww! No!!! I taped the show and signed off the air by saying I was in labor and headed to the hospital.

Fast forward 24 hours later...  I was starving and dreaming of steak and potatoes (the ironic thing is I've never cared for steak before yet it consumed my mind because I was starving and wasn't allowed to eat!!!) and Krista wasn't out...yet.  To make a looooong story short, the extra dosage of Epidural (it was ineffective the first go around because the nausea from the Pitocin that had been increased tremendously had me exhausted from trying to keep myself from puking all over!) numbed me from the nose down.  Yep.  I kid you not. My throat was so numb I could hardly talk (something that was so frustrating as you can only imagine!!!) and I definitely couldn't feel anything anywhere!!! I'll spare you the minute details of everything afterward.

Fast forward 14 years later... She's growing up and already taller than me...unless she's in bed or sitting down :o)

Here are14 things I love about her:
1.  She loves her Savior
2.  She's been even sweeter with Michael lately :o)
3.  She feels deeply
4.  She's great at sharing the details of her day with me
5.  She works hard in school
6.  She is funny and makes me laugh (don't get me started about the fire hydrant outside of LOCC!!!)
7.  She's still huggable
8.  She's a great reading buddy
9.  She falls for my pranks ;oD
10. She is helpful
11. She is kind and caring
12. She's compassionate
13. She shares her things willingly
14. She laughs with me and sometimes, at me, too :o)

I love how The Amplified Bible puts Psalm 139:13-18...
13For You did form my inward parts; You did knit me together in my mother's womb.    14I will confess and praise You for You are fearful and wonderful and for the awful wonder of my birth! Wonderful are Your works, and that my inner self knows right well.
    15My frame was not hidden from You when I was being formed in secret [and] intricately and curiously wrought [as if embroidered with various colors] in the depths of the earth [a region of darkness and mystery].
    16Your eyes saw my unformed substance, and in Your book all the days [of my life] were written before ever they took shape, when as yet there was none of them.
    17How precious and weighty also are Your thoughts to me, O God! How vast is the sum of them!
    18If I could count them, they would be more in number than the sand. When I awoke, [could I count to the end] I would still be with You.

The whole chapter is worth reading because it's a great reminder of how valuable we are in the eyes of God.  Yes, you.  You are loved by the Creator of the universe.  Amazing, isn't it??? 

Here we are at her 8th grade graduation in June and since she really doesn't look any differently now, I'm using this picture until I get another pic to replace it :o) Happy Birthday, Krista!!!