Monday, September 12, 2011

Still Remembering 9/11...

I wanted to blog yesterday.  But, it didn't happen (duh).  Thoughts of 9/11 have been on my mind and it's hard to believe that yesterday was the 10th anniversary of that horrific time.  Seeing the images and just remembering the tragedy of so many lives taken continues to bring tears to my eyes.

On September 11th, I was in the studio recording a commercial for a Michael W. Smith concert (he was coming to New York) and in between takes, I was trying to call Atlantic Records to set up an interview with one of the artist on their label.  It was 8 something in the morning and I couldn't get through because all the lines were busy.  I remember thinking, What in the world is going on that all the lines are tied up so early in the morning?!?  I finished recording the commercial spot and stepped out of the studio when Bill Jones, our news director came running up the hall saying, "The Twin Tower was hit by a plane.  I think this is a terrorist attack!" I thought he was joking.  My immediate response was, "Terrorist attack?  You're kidding, me, right?"  We quickly went to the news room and then news that the second tower went down came over the AP wire... Chills went up my spine because we knew some friends from our church who worked in the towers.  But most of all, I wanted to grab Krista in my arms and hold her tightly.

Naturally, her school didn't want to encourage parents to pull their children out of their school program, but I didn't care.  As soon as I was able to wrap things up, I called Jacob and told him I was going to get Krista and found that he was on his way to her school, too.  We both pulled in at the same time.

We signed her out and went home to watch the TV sans the sound so Krista wouldn't get frightened.  But she found the remote and un-muted the TV as footage showed the towers going up in flames as they went crashing down.  And then she was scared.  I had to explain that bad people who didn't have the love of Jesus hurt many innocent people and we needed to pray for everyone.  And so we did.  It was very comforting to be together as a family.

In the midst of deep pain, sorrow and loss, it's hard to keep our eyes focused on Jesus.  Our natural inclination is to drown in our sorrow or turn bitter towards God because after all, He's powerful enough to prevent any tragedy, right?  I don't pretend to understand why God allowed 9/11, but I do  know that we live in a fallen world where men and women make sinful choices every moment because God gave us a free will.  God did not cause 9/11.  Members of Al-Qaeda (the Islamist militant group) did.



There were so many amazing stories that came out of the September 11 attacks and hearing the stories from our listeners was a reminder that God makes beauty out of ashes. "Psalm 46 continues to encourage me and I hope it does the same for you.  Here it is from The Amplified Bible...

1GOD IS our Refuge and Strength [mighty and impenetrable to temptation], a very present and well-proved help in trouble.    2Therefore we will not fear, though the earth should change and though the mountains be shaken into the midst of the seas,
    3Though its waters roar and foam, though the mountains tremble at its swelling and tumult. Selah [pause, and calmly think of that]!
    4There is a river whose streams shall make glad the city of God, the holy place of the tabernacles of the Most High.
    5God is in the midst of her, she shall not be moved; God will help her right early [at the dawn of the morning].
    6The nations raged, the kingdoms tottered and were moved; He uttered His voice, the earth melted.
    7The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our Refuge (our Fortress and High Tower). Selah [pause, and calmly think of that]!
    8Come, behold the works of the Lord, Who has wrought desolations and wonders in the earth.
    9He makes wars to cease to the end of the earth; He breaks the bow into pieces and snaps the spear in two; He burns the chariots in the fire.
    10Let be and be still, and know (recognize and understand) that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations! I will be exalted in the earth!
    11The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our Refuge (our High Tower and Stronghold). Selah [pause, and calmly think of that]!"