Sunday, January 22, 2012

"Why Are The Rivers In Mars Disappearing?" and Other Questions That Require Research For Answers!

Have you ever noticed that when you're out and about, children never have to use the bathroom when you're right by the restroom area?  I was with Michael picking up some last minute things at the store and as we checked out, he decided he needed to go to the bathroom.  Of course, we were on the complete opposite end of the store where all the bathrooms are! Thankfully, his bladder control has improved tremendously since the days he had the bladder size of a gnat (when he was in training mode)! So, here's a mom tip:  I keep a few of the "kiddie cups" that we get from restaurants (the kind with the lid) in the car for emergency bathroom moments.  I park in a private location, give Michael the cup (after removing the lid) and TAA DAA,  he's able to take care of his business in the cup! Then I just put the lid back on and drive over to the nearest trash can! It's a easy solution (GROSS according to my 14 year-old!) to a potential messy problem :o)

Finding time to read is never something I take for granted.  But when you have 15 hours to read, it's amazing how much you can accomplish! Yesterday, I finally finished Blue Moon Bay by Lisa Wingate, Blue Moon Promise by Colleen Coble and Kelly Irvin's To Love and to Cherish.  I'm starting on Ginny L. Yttrup's Lost and Found now and hope to find some more time of uninterrupted reading... Put it this way, I'm not holding my breath about this issue!

Michael's enrollment for Kindergarten with CAVA is being processed and hopefully, we'll be starting school in February.   We're both very excited to see what materials he will be covering in the program! Jacob's been printing out his math pages and Michael has been "earning" his iPad time by doing them.  I am blown away by his enthusiasm to complete the pages...so unlike Krista's response at that age!

Recently, Michael has been watching a lot of The Magic School Bus with Miss Fizzle on TV.  He must have seen the one on space because out of the blue last night, he wanted to know why the rivers in Mars were disappearing! Usually, I watch the shows with him, but I must have missed that episode about space because I wasn't even aware there were rivers in Mars! So, the next best thing?  I referred him to Jacob and his answer sounded good. 

It seems like children have the most questions when you're exhausted and you're falling asleep beside them.  I watched Jacob fall asleep and then Michael would tap him on the shoulders and ask him questions about airplanes landing and why they didn't just fall out of the sky! I was relieved when Jacob could come up with such good answers after having very little sleep!

I appreciate that Michael saves his technical questions (well, most of them anyway!) for daddy while I get the "Will you tell me the Bible story about...?" or other questions about God, Heaven, etc.  Now, that I can handle :o) I love Michael's thirst for knowledge and I pray that he'll also continue to develop his thirst for the things of God, too.

I'm reminded of what 1 Peter 2:2-3 says.  I like how The Amplified version puts it...
"2Like newborn babies you should crave (thirst for, earnestly desire) the pure (unadulterated) spiritual milk, that by it you may be nurtured and grow unto [completed] salvation,
    3Since you have [already] tasted the goodness and kindness of the Lord."

It's my prayer for you, too :o)