Wednesday, January 25, 2012

"Daddy, I Love All Electronics! You Can Buy Me All the Electronics You Want!"

The iPad and Jacob's iPhone have been lifesavers when we're out and about or on the road.  Jacob has the 4s and occasionally will ask if I want one, too.  I am holding out for the iPhone 5 but Michael is happy to interject, "Daddy, I'll take one if mommy doesn't want it!"

I just looked over and Krista and I are on our computers, Jacob is on the iPhone playing games or checking his emails and Michael is playing a game on the iPad.  It's interesting to observe! I can see how easily electronics can rob us of interacting as a family so Jacob and I will probably need to implement "electronic free zones" throughout the day.

We spent Chinese New Year's with Jacob's family.  They ordered this specialty dish that had shrimp, vegetables, abalone, shark's fin, roast pork, fish balls (like meatballs made out of fish), etc.  It came in this big silver bowl and the more you ate, the more things you would find underneath all the food! It was very interesting and definitely had something for everyone.  I doubt I'll ever have it again since it's so exotic and unique.  It made our eating experience very memorable.  Even if I had to keep the Benadryl close by in case one of the kids ate something that touched the seafood!

As a child, the best thing about Chinese New Year's is the red packet you get from your parents and relatives.  Inside the packets are money and as a kid, all those dollar bills make you feel rich! Last night, we were at KiKi's house (a friend of Jacob's sister) and we saw the most beautiful paper art made out of those red packets! They look best with the red and foiled gold packets and can be easily learned here at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq_rR0b5qb8&feature=related and at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4ch-aLBGFk&feature=related The ornamental ball and fan are so beautiful! I can't wait to go get some packs of those red packet so I can begin creating something fun with the kids.

I normally stink at origami but I am determined to learn some simple and fun ones to use with kids when I'm working with them.  Imagine telling the Bible story of the Creation and making origami animals to go with the story, right?!?  It would be a fresh way to share God and the story of His amazing creation with children no matter their age! Thank you, God for all those tutorials on origami on youtube.com!!!

We had a bizarre encounter yesterday that left us feeling very puzzled and disappointed.  I can't stop replaying what happened and I'm grateful that Krista, Jacob and I can talk about it between the three of us.  Michael was oblivious, of course, and that's a good thing! When I'm tempted to think unkind thoughts  about our encounter, I remember the verse in Philippians 4:8.

I love The Amplified version of this verse... "For the rest, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is worthy of reverence and is honorable and seemly, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely and lovable, whatever is kind and winsome and gracious, if there is any virtue and excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think on and weigh and take account of these things [fix your minds on them]."

I'm in need of an attitude adjustment after reading this verse again!!!