Wednesday, October 12, 2011

"Mommy, Will You Please Give Me Grace and Let Me Play the iPad?"

Michael is hopelessly addicted to all things electronic.  He loves spending all his berries on things for his Smurf Village game on the iPad (I imagine it's like Farmville).  It's funny how Jacob will earn thousands of berries and in the span of five minutes, Michael will spend it all on two things like a snail and a caterpillar!

Oh, it drives Jacob crazy!!! He's concerned that Michael loves spending money too much while his sister is more into hoarding her money! Two very different personalities!!! Michael loves powering up his warriors (who resemble potato heads because they're so short and squat!) in Chicken Battle (The nicer version of Plants vs Zombies).  In between playing multiple games in one sitting, he takes care of his pet horse, Flufee (I thought is was pronounced floo-fee but found it was supposed to be Fluffy)Virtual pets are great for kids with animal allergy issues! 

Michael's eczema has spread to his face and for the past few weeks, he has woken up with scratches and blotches all over his little face.  Unlike my eczema, the kids seem to go in phases with their eczema issues.  The worse things you can say to someone itchy from eczema are "Don't scratch" or "Stop scratching!" You might as well say, "Stop Breathing!" because it's just not going to happen!

I remember my mom crying and praying over me as she put the three different creams on my arms, legs, etc.  There probably weren't too many spots on my body that didn't have raw and open sores because of my eczema.  I was always so miserable!

As a child, I always wondered why she was the one crying and praying over my skin when it was my skin that was bothering me! But now I understand.  As mothers, we hate to see our children in pain or discomfort.  If we were able to take their pain, we would do it in a heartbeat, right?!?  Well, duh!  It took me having my own children to understand what my mother felt when she cried and prayed over my skin issues.  In fact, when I'm putting on creme on Michael (and on Krista when she was younger), I find myself praying over them out loud as I apply it to the itches and sores.

I'm actually thankful I have eczema issues because I have first hand experience knowing what my children are feeling and going through when their eczema flares up.  I understand the unrelenting itching bouts (because I still get them and they drive me crazy!!!) and I encourage them to itch but to be careful about itching to the point of making their skin raw and open. Thankfully, neither of them have eczema as badly as I did.

In my Hebrews Precepts Bible Study class, I'm reminded over and over that Jesus understands our pain, hurts and temptations because He went through them, too.  He knows and understands what it feels like to be rejected, to feel unloved, to be tempted, to be hungry, to feel lonely, etc.  I'm thankful we have a great high priest who understands what we go through and is on the right hand of the Father interceding for us!

I love how the New Living Translation (NLT) puts Hebrews 4:14-16..."14 So then, since we have a great High Priest who has entered heaven, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to what we believe. 15 This High Priest of ours understands our weaknesses, for he faced all of the same testings we do, yet he did not sin. 16 So let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive his mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it most."

You're NOT alone in your pain.  He's been there before and Jesus is with you this very moment...of every single dayThe best news is that there isn't anything you can do to separate you from His love!!! Read Romans 8:35-39 for some crystal clear clarity!