Saturday, October 22, 2011

"Mommy, Don't You Just Love That?", "Mommy! What's Your Battery Power?", "Mommy! There's Only 58 minutes until Magic School Bus is on!" And Other Questions & Comments From a 4.5 Year Old Child

I've been catching up on emails and tuned in to what Krista was doing.  She was playing something out loud on her computer and after listening instead of tuning it out, I realized she was having my blogs read out loud (right click, highlight passage to be read out loud band voile! Apple computer products are crazy amazing!!!)!  I told her she should find a voice that reads my blogs with an English accent! How fun!!!

Michael has been delighted with the "talking" function on Krista's laptop! He gave me a big grin and asked, "Mommy, don't you just love that?" He is patiently waiting for 1pm because that means he'll get to watch The Magic School Bus with Krista.  I love that show, too!

Lately, he's been the Battery Power Patrol whenever I sit at my laptop.  He loves hearing the percent that's available on my battery.  He is so fascinated by numbers.  It's frightening! I'm thankful that Jacob is now home and can be empowered to take over teaching Michael mathematics!

Yesterday I started and finished Nobody's Child by Austin Boyd (what a fascinating read!) and this morning I started Tamera Alexander's A Lasting Impression.  My upstairs book is House of Secrets by Tracie Peterson.  I can't wait to get started on it!

This is day 4 since we received and sent news that Jacob got laid off at Amgen.  With the aid of email, Twitter and Facebook, we're amazed by the response of all our friends and family. We are so blessed and thankful for the support, encouragement and prayers!!!

Now that Jacob is home (which means the iPad is within Michael's radar vision and hearing) this is what I'm hearing all day, "Mommy! I heard something from my Smurf Village! I think something is ready with my horse, too!!! Can I check it? Please? Please? Please?!?" Either his crops are ready to be harvested or something! Right now, he is planting Brussel Sprouts to "placate some angry spider"  and then he'll be taking care of his horse, Flufee.  Oookkkay, now!

Already at age 4.5, he's being affected by the tyranny of the urgent! This morning I decided to use up the apples and make Apple Bundles (this is such a simple recipe! It only requires refrigerated Crescent Rolls, diced up apples mixed with cinnamon, brown sugar and OJ or lemon juice).  Michael was dying to be my taste tester but the Apple Bundles were still baking.  But, I had lots of extra diced up apples left so I scooped them out in bowls for all of us.  Suddenly, he was concerned about his little cook's apron.

Michael:  Mommy! I need my Thomas apron!

Me:  Why?  You don't need it for eating the apples.

Michael:  But I need it for baking!

Me:  I'm not really baking right now.  See, everything is finished already.  If you want your apron, why don't you go and look for it in the playroom?  You know where it is.  Right after he ran out to the playroom, I remembered that I had replaced the coat tree it used to be on to our big oak one and there was no way he could reach it without help!
[He dashes in the playroom and is back in :30]

Michael:  I can't find it! Now I'll never be able to bake with you again! Such dramatics!

But once I reminded him about the apples, he quickly forgot about finding his apron and ate his apples happily! I loved what he said as he ate his apples, "Mommy, I love how you put lots of cinnamon in this! It makes everything taste so good!"

It's the little things in life, right?!?  Children are great at reminding us to be thankful for those little things, aren't they?!?  I'm so thankful we live in a land where so many things are accessible by car or by the touch of a button thanks to the wonders of online shopping.

In the NLT, Psalm 100:4 says, "Enter his gates with thanksgiving; go into his courts with praise.  Give thanks to him and praise his name.:"

Amen!!!