Wednesday, October 10, 2012

"This Is the Best Day of My Life!" said the Five-Year-Old Boy

This past weekend was all about getting the top part of Michael's bunk assembled (yes, all 927 pieces of it thanks to IKEA!!!).  Once we were finished, I put up the glow-in-the-dark stars on the slats of the top part of the bunk that we had purchased eons ago.  Then Michael and I took turns charging them up with my flashlight and turned off the lights.  It was magical! Of course he wanted more stars, but I promised we would add more after his "real bed" aka the mattress arrived.


Today was a special day for Michael because the mattress we ordered for him finally arrived!!! He got to feel his new flannel sheets this morning (I had just gotten them out of the dryer this morning so they were all toasty warm) and helped me mop all the floors after the delivery guys came through.  I'm training him for his future wife (the one we've been praying for)!!!

While I put the sheets and blankets on, Michael went into his closet and got out the huge bag of animals we've put away until "the bed" arrived.  Then we added more glow-in-the-dark stars and put up the blanket to make his "fort." It's the world's coziest set-up!

Michael told me that today was the best day of his life because we would get to snuggle in his bed now that he had a real mattress (he's been sleeping in our bed or on the air mattress in his room)! I was expecting him to say it was the best day of his life because his bed was finally ready.  He has very good memory---I had told him a long time ago that I would only snuggle with him in his bed IF his real mattress was on his bed! 

I love these tender moments! The other day, he came to me sobbing (part of the reason was because he had gotten in trouble with Jacob) because he didn't think we would still be able to be a family when he grew up and had his own house! I was thankful he didn't keep that question inside him and happily assured him that we would continue to be a family no matter where he and Krista lived.  And I told him that our family would grow as he and Krista got married and then had children.  After they go to college, grad school and have a job...!!!

Is it so terribly selfish of me if I want him to stay 5 forever?!? His sweet words make me smile :o) Have you noticed that words have the power to bring life or death (thank you, Solomon!).  I like how he puts it in Proverbs 25:11...: "A word fitly spoken and in due season is like apples of gold in settings of silver." (The Amplified Bible, of course)

I encourage you to use your words wisely and when you don't have anything good to say, zip it so you won't regret what came out later!