Thursday, July 12, 2012

Walking Worthy of Our Calling...


Tonight, Jacob, Michael and I were playing some crazy rounds of Bejeweled on the iPad (it's such a relaxing and brainless game!) and Michael recounted a funny conversation he had with Jacob. Jacob had asked Michael what rock stars do and Michael started strumming his stomach (his version of air guitar!) and Jacob asked him, "Are you itchy?"  Michael just thought that was the funniest thing ever!!!

As I was getting Michael's toothbrush ready, he exclaimed, "Mommy! I just looked at the time and it's past 10pm.  No wonder Bejeweled was so much fun!" We have an early morning tomorrow so it definitely wasn't wise to let him stay up so late.  But then, I think he'll always remember snuggling with us on the bed while we talk, laughed and played Bejeweled! This is the stuff memories are made of, right?!?

We picked up some cookies from this specialty cookie shop near our place and we were talking about favorite cookies.  I asked the kids what they would pick if they only had one last cookie to eat.  Krista's answer was dependent on who made the cookies and when it was Michael's turn to talk, he replied like this...

Michael:  My last cookie would be... (long pause) I wouldn't have a last cookie because I love cookies and sugar too much! Don't remind me!

Since most of our stuff is in storage in Somewhere, USA, we've been shopping like crazy so Krista can leave for camp with everything that's on the "Things to Bring" list for SandBlast.  We got the last three things today---a sleeping bag (this one isn't like the one in storage that's perfect if you're stranded on a mountain when the temps drop!), batteries for her nebulizer (I'm glad she thought to check the current batteries before going to camp!) and a beach towel (Never mind the gazillion of beach towels that are boxed away, but then I think, oh, what's one more, right?!?).  Whew!

We will miss her terribly while she's away... having the time of her life for the first time at SandBlast!!! It makes me think about the future and how we have her for only 3 more years before she embarks on her college adventure.   Where does the time go?!?  I wonder what I will regret over when she grows up and moves out of the house.  I'm pretty sure I won't be regretting that I didn't clean the house more!!! Have I scarred her emotionally?  Mentally?!? Will she make wise choices?!?  Will she remember that the man she marries has to have a mother that I can be friends with?!? How can we adequately prepare her for surviving in our world "harmless as a dove but wise as a serpent?"

Ahhhhh, but the reality is that Krista isn't mine.  Or ours.  She never was.  She belongs to God and only He knows the plans for her life and how long she will be here touching our lives every single day.

Our job in the meantime means that we lead by example, mirror God's love before her, admit our failings (and ask for forgiveness!), teach her in the ways of God, admonish her in love and encourage her to walk worthy of her calling.

As Paul writes in Ephesians 4:1b-3 (I love how The Amplified Bible says it!)...
"...walk (lead a life) worthy of the [divine] calling to which you have been called [with behavior that is a credit to the summons to God’s service,
Living as becomes you] with complete lowliness of mind (humility) and meekness (unselfishness, gentleness, mildness), with patience, bearing with one another and making allowances because you love one another.
Be eager and strive earnestly to guard and keep the harmony and oneness of [and produced by] the Spirit in the binding power of peace."

Imagine what the body of Christ would be like and what an impact we would have on our world today if we all lived this way!