Sunday, February 19, 2012

"When I Eat Dreamsicles, I'm a Dream!" and Other Silly Saying from a Five-Year-Old

Michael has been building up a storm with his Legos.  Part of the reason is because he wants to prove to me that his brain is still creative even though he loves playing on the iPad.  Every building project he finished, he comes to me and says this, "See, Mommy! My brain is still creative even though I play the iPad.  Now can I play my games???" I can't wait til his Kindergarten curriculum arrives so the iPad can retire back to a "weekends only" schedule!

The other day, I told Michael something tasted like an orange dreamsicle and it made him very excited! He exclaimed to me, "When I eat dreamsicles, I'm a dream!" I know he was being silly but I hope this isn't the beginning of an overinflated ego!

For the past couple of hours, Jacob and I have been listening to everything from Arioso by Bach to The Prayer with Celine Dion and Josh Groban to Who Am I by Casting Crowns! It's been fun finding music on Youtube.com.  Choosing and mixing the eclectic mix of music made me think back to the days of hand selecting the music for my afternoon playlist at 99.1 FM WAWZ (now Star 99.1 New York).  Wow! It seems like a lifetime ago!

I do miss the fun and excitement of concerts, meeting and greeting, interviewing artists and authors and just leading worship on the radio.  And, I miss the camaraderie we shared in the early days of my radio career and am so glad I got to be a part of a team that loved Jesus and was a ministry!

So, fast forward to now...!
Can I just confess something?  I never wanted to be a mom.  At least not until 7 years into our marriage.  I know! It sounds horrible, doesn't it?  I think it was the fear of messing up an innocent child's life and not knowing how to be a "real" mother.  I had figured out that maybe by 7 years of marriage, I would be ready.  But! Thank God, He doesn't make plans dictated by our fears, right?!?  I fell in love with Krista after she was cleaned up and placed in my arms (yes, it took me nearly the entire 9 months of pregnancy to get my mind used to the fact I was going to be a mother...but that's because I'm a slow learner!) and now I cherish the relationship I have with Krista and with Michael---both at very different stages in life.

I am so thankful for the parenting resources that are available today that weren't around when my parents were, well, trying to be parents.  I'm thankful for other Christian moms, for groups like MOMSnext and MOPS to put things in perspective, for excellent books on parenting, relationships, etc. and most of all, for prayer!!! As a mother, I depend entirely on God's wisdom to help me as I parent my children.

So, yes, while I miss the fun of being in radio, I love being a mom more!!! It's fufilling, exciting, frustrating, exhilarating and punctuated with so many joyous moments!!!  It's scary because when I reflect back on the excitement of being in a career I love, I find equal excitement over my son's curriculum that's coming sometime next week!!! Hmmm....Concert vs Curriculum.  I'd pick curriculum any day! It's amazing to me how God can change our hearts if we're willing to let Him work in us.


 February is the month of Love and I'm grateful to be surrounded by my loving family and friends God has brought in my life.  I love you all!!!

1 John 4:11-12 goes like this...: “Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. No one has ever seen God; if we love one another, God abides in us and his love is perfected in us.”  ESV (English Standard Version)