Wednesday, February 22, 2012

"Mommy, I Need To Tell You Something..." and "Who's Got Fat Fingers?!?"

My allergies have been going C-R-A-Z-Y with the rapid changes in the weather, the wind and who knows why else! Every night for the past 3 weeks, my eyes are so itchy that my only relief is to rub them.  I know, I know! Rubbing them is NOT a good thing but they're killin' me so I end up with very puffy eyes every morning.  Ugh.

The eczema on all my fingers has also been flaring up for the past 3 weeks so it's been rather uncomfortable being in my skin! I know things can be worse and are worse for so many others I know so I don't mean to come across complaining but I found a solution! 2 Benadryls last night knocked me out completely.  For the first time in a long time, I woke up without swollen fingers and my eyes weren't as puffy as they've been.  Hallelujah for medicine!!!

Tonight after putting Michael down to bed, Krista and I traded responsibilities.  I loaded the dishwasher while she made us popcorn.  Krista's been sick so she was just laying low, so we watched some of our favorite shows we recorded.  Unbeknownst to us, Michael had gotten out of bed to go to the bathroom and smelled the popcorn.  Krista heard him say, "Mommy, I need to tell you something" so I went upstairs...

Me:  Michael, why aren't you in bed?

Michael:  Because I wanted to tell you something.

Me:  What do you want to tell me?

Michael:  [Long pause] Mommy, can I stay up later next time so I can have some popcorn too?  Like now?  Because I like popcorn, too!

Me:  Nice try, Michael.  It's time for you to go night night now.  Maybe I'll make you some popcorn tomorrow without butter or salt just like mine is downstairs.

Michael:  But I don't like it that way!

Me:  Well, that's what I'm eating downstairs and now it's time for you to return to bed.  I love you!

Sometimes it's tricky finding a way to transition a child's one track mind back to the subject of sleep, right?!?  We moms have to do what a mom has to do!

We all like to laugh a lot at our house.  A few weeks ago, I randomly made up a ridiculous chant to entertain Krista and Michael and then totally forgot about it until today.  Michael remembered it and started wiggling his tiny fingers while chanting, "Who's got fat fingers?"  I was in tears from laughing so hard!!! It's such an oxymoron of a statement hearing it from him since he has the tiniest and skinniest fingers ever!!! There's always a lot of silliness going on over here :o)

Joy and laughter are definitely gifts from God! I love what it says in James 1:17 (NLT)... "Whatever is good and perfect comes down to us from God our Father, who created all the lights in the heavens. He never changes or casts a shifting shadow."

So, join me and choose joy :o)