Sunday, November 28, 2010

The Runaway Nose

After midnight on Friday, Jacob decided to get in a 2 hour lecture while I decided to start Choosing to See by Mary Beth Chapman with Ellen Vaughn.  Oh.  My.  Stars.  I couldn't get through the book without some major waterworks (thank you, God for the person who invented Kleenexes with lotion or my nose would have been really red and chapped!)!!!  I'll have a review of it in my December issue of Five Star Books & More by the Reading Mom newsletter on December 3rd.  I finished the last chapter this morning after staying up til 4:30am.

This morning, Jacob and I went out to run some errands.  I was in desperate need of surgical gloves.  And no, I am not planning on operating on anyone anytime soon.  It's just that I ran out of them and recently, I had to touch raw meat with my bare hands...ICKY! Of course, I question my "desperate need" for them because we were at Costco last week and I forgot to get them while we were there! Anyway, the plan was to grab them at Costco and then hit the outlets to check out the deals.  It was a great plan, except for the fact that Jacob decided to get his tires rotated while we were there.  No problem, right?!?  I mean, there were hardly any other people there, so we erroneously assumed it would be a one hour job.  2.5 hours later (I'm grateful for Verizon because I killed time by catching up with some friends in PA since I didn't have a book to lose myself in), we had to get home. 

We came home to "the world's largest train track" by Michael and Krista.  Michael got sick three days ago and so, I've been keeping him in his sleepers because they keep him cozy.  The good news is that he's now fever free.  The bad news is that his nose is running a mile-a-minute (where is all that liquid coming from?!?) and apparently, only mommy can be the one to blow his nose (which makes it challenging to complete a task while constantly attending to a little nose).  In between loads of laundry, I started The Charlatan's Boy by Jonathan Rogers.  I haven't gotten very far (just up to chapter 12) because nose blowing and page turning are two challenges I have yet to master!

To be perfectly honest, normally, it would be difficult to keep blowing that little nose with a good attitude! But after reading about Mary Beth and Steven Curtis Chapman's horrific loss of their five year old adopted daughter, I was more than grateful to be grabbing those Kleenexes to wipe Michael's nose and keeping it from being chapped with AquaPhor. 

1 Thessalonians 5:18 reminds us in this way, "In everything give thanks (for dry little noses as well as the runny little noses, too!); for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." I love being a mommy!