Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Never Trust a Nearly-Four-Year-Old to Play By the Rules

In our house, the wrapping paper cardboard roll/tube is a HOT commodity.  While I finished wrapping a few more gifts today, Krista and Michael were sword fighting with their empty wrapping paper rolls.  Krista had to stay on the carpet of the bedroom while Michael had to remain in the tiled section of our bathroom giving each of them ample space to retreat and spar.  Simple, right? 

My mistake was to leave the two of them alone after I was finished (hey, give me a break! I was in between writing out a gazillion Christmas cards!).  Pretty soon I heard the yells of a one-sided conversation:

"Hey! You're not supposed to leave the bathroom! Stay on your side!" Silence except for lots of footsteps.  Then a "OUCH! Stop hitting me! You're supposed to ONLY hit my tube and NOT me!" Silence again with the sound of running feet and then a... "That's it! I'm done playing with you! You're not following the rules! I'm going downstairs!"

Unfortunately for Michael, he made a poor decision as Krista ran downstairs.  I went upstairs, explained why he was going to be disciplined (yes, he acknowledged his poor choice!) and then went to his room with him.  Afterward, it was restoration time.  I held him and hugged him tightly in the rocker.  Here's what a typical conversation is like afterward:

Me:  Michael, why did mommy have to remind you?

Michael:  Because I made a poor choice.

Me:  What was your poor choice?

Michael:  I didn't obey.


Me:  And what it that called when you don't obey, Michael?

Michael:  Sin.

Me:  That's right, Michael.  What does sin do?

Michael:  It separates us from God.  Sin is like a big door  (I use that analogy so he can get a better understanding of how sin separates us from God .  And for the first time, Michael put his hands side by side and covered my eyes to show how it separates us from God which made me realize he really understands that concept now).

Me:  That's right, Michael.  There is no sin in Heaven and that's why Jesus had to come and die for all sins like when we don't obey our parents.  Mommy and Daddy's job is to teach you to obey us so you'll learn to obey God, too.  Now what do we need to do?

Michael:  Make things right with God, mommy, daddy and Krista.   
Dear God, Will you forgive me?  I'm sorry for not obeying mommy.  I was wrong.  Please help me make right choices and wrong choices (he means to "not" make poor choices!) so I can have good consequences and not poor ones.  Please help me obey the Bible.  In Jesus Name I pray, Amen.

I love hearing children pray.  There's something that's so sweet and innocent in their little voices!  Well, then there's lots of hugging and making things right with whomever he offended.  Then I have to go through my "wise choices = wise consequences and poor choices = poor consequences" speech before letting him know what privileges he's lost because of making his poor choice.

In I John 1:9, I love how the Amplified Bible puts it: "If we [freely] admit that we have sinned and confess our sins, He is faithful and just (true to His own nature and promises) and will forgive our sins [dismiss our lawlessness] and [continuously] cleanse us from all unrighteousness [everything not in conformity to His will in purpose, thought, and action]."

I'm grateful for God's gift of forgiveness, for the restoration process and for being a mommy.