Sunday, November 21, 2010

Disfunctional Functionality

This blog has nothing to do with the title.  I just thought the two words sounded funny together (especially when you try to say them together over and over really fast)!

Oh! And I should warn you that I blog the way I talk to my favorite sister (who happens to be my only sister, but that's besides the point) which means when translated in writing, here's what you'll get:
  • Lots of run-on sentences (I go on and on and on when I'm talking to her)
  • Lots of exclamation points (she brings out the undercover hyper-ness in me)
  • The occasional (or not so occasional!) misuse of the English language (I get my words mixed-up, I make up words, etc. which probably stem from staying up too late!) 
  • And some spelling errors (because obviously, I'm not using "spell check" when we're talking!)

Okay. Since my last entry, I finished reading City of Tranquil Light which will be reviewed in the December issue (first Fridays of every month) of my newsletter, Five Star Books & More by The Reading Mom (I know, I know, shameless plug, right?!?)  Had I not baked 1008 (okay, i have no idea what possessed me to make four different kinds of mini pumpkin muffins because after removing the third batch of muffins, it was feeling like I had made that many of them!!!) 108 mini pumpkin muffins on Thursday night, I would have finished the book a lot sooner!!! It was SO good.  Anyway, you've probably heard the old saying, "An apple a day keeps the doctor away" well, for me, it's "30-minutes a day (at least!) keeps the crankies away!" In my pre-children stage of life, I was able to read 2-3 books a day.  Now that I have children, I'm lucky to get 2-3 books read in a week!

Yesterday, I felt like a total failure as a mother.  I'm talking "EPIC FAIL" (using my daughter's favorite phrase...Krista just pointed out that her favorite phrase is actually "pish posh!") here.  For anyone who mistakenly thinks I have it "all together," let me show you how incorrect that perception is...

In the past couple of years, I've been stressing to Krista the importance of excelling in school, in her skating and life, in general.  I found out recently, that inadvertently, the message communicated was that she needed to be perfect in EVERYTHING in order to measure up to our expectations.  Can you imagine the pressure she's felt?  I'm so upset with myself I wish I had three legs.  Two for walking around and the third one for kicking myself in the you-know-where (I read that somewhere long time ago and it so applies!)! To make a long story short, I already can see that God is redeeming the mistakes we've both made and the healing has begun.

The verses found in Lamentations 3:22-23 really speak to me.  "The Lord's lovingkindness indeed never cease, For His compassions never fail.  They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness."