Friday, August 24, 2012

"I Love School As Much As I Love the iPad!" said the 5-Year Old Kindergartener

I'm in a new season of life here.  It's called the "Help!" season! I hate not knowing whom to turn to for stuff, but God has sent some wonderful new friends---Linda C., Grace Z., Sue A. and PoPo Grace.  Each of these amazing women have been so helpful in giving me referrals for everything from landscapers, handymen, carpet cleaners to painters and more! I've been up to my eye balls in researching house repair stuff, getting estimates, comparing prices and mapping out a plan for when we can move in.

Consequently, I haven't had the time to blog, read a book or do much other than making my lists, making calls or surfing yelp.com and angieslist.com.  It's exhausting!!! I miss reading! I miss talking on the phone to friends and family for fun! But, I'm grateful because this means we're one step closer to moving in our new house :o)

Krista started 10th grade at her new school and lived to talk about it!!! She's not only surviving transitioning from a smaller private school to a public high school of 2700, but she's thriving---a total God thing! I am excited about this year for her :o)

Michael started Kindergarten on Wednesday, 8/22.  He stood in line wearing his new Ninjago shirt (thank you Uncle Jesu's and Yee Yee!) while holding onto his Thomas & Friends roller backpack.  I couldn't believe he didn't cry! But more hugely, I couldn't believe I didn't cry!!! There was an orientation for parents and their Kindergarteners on Tuesday so they went over the routine of a typical school day.  Everything was going fairly well until it was time for pictures.  Sigh.  He hates cameras.  He is a cute little boy with the best smile (dimples and all!) until you put a camera in front of him.  And then he glowers at the camera.  The picture came out looking like a hostile little boy and I was mortified!

Of course, I had a little chat with him about behaving appropriately when your teacher wants to take your picture so he went to his teacher, Miss Wallis and said, "Would it be alright with you to retake my picture?"  I was so proud of him! And then he made a face that was a cross between his look of pain and a horrific grimace that made us laugh! Jenna and I decided to keep the first picture of him glowering! The other one was just indescribable! Mercy! I will post those pictures when I can retrieve them from Krista's camera! Oh, I can't wait until school picture day...! LOL

Later, I told him that he can always save his sweet smiles for me and I was rewarded with a smile I wish I could capture on film!  We have always joked that he was a director's nightmare (back in the day when we auditioned for commercials) when the cameras turned on!

I love that he had such a wonderful first day! He came to me and exclaimed, "I love school as much as I love the iPad, Mommy! I can't believe it because I love the iPad!" I love that he has a really nice teacher who's young, expressive, pretty and engaging! I know Michael is going to adore her! He told me how he made three friends and we had the sweetest conversation...

Michael: Mommy, I'm surprised I didn't cry because I cried when I went to PromiseLand (Sunday School) by myself, remember? ummm... yes, who could forget those tears?!?  

 Me: Michael, when you first went to PromiseLand, you weren't a Kindergartner yet.  But now you're a big boy Kindergartener and you don't have to cry! See how that works?!?

Michael:  Oh. You're right! Oh, he's our wild card child---you never know what he's going to say or what he's going to think up next!

Usually, both Krista and Michael prefer to stay at home than going out.  I'm thinking it's probably because we do a fair amount of running around on a regular basis anyway! But the one day Krista was interested in school clothes shopping, Michael wasn't a happy camper! He came and begged to stay in his jammies all day.  When I told him he needed to change, he held my face to his and said, "Mommy, you never listen to me because you always listen to Krista.  I want to stay home but we have to go out because Krista wants to go out and I don't! Mommy, you always do what she wants and not what I want and that's mean of you, Mommy!" Gotta love his reasoning skills!!!

It's funny until I think of how often we treat God that way---a Somebody who will grant our wishes and do what we want! It's easy to go "Yeah, God!" when things are going well, but when they start falling apart, well, that's another story, right?

Matthew 5:45 reminds us that "He makes His sun rise on the wicked and on the good, and makes the rain fall upon the upright and the wrongdoers [alike]." 
The Amplified Bible


It's not about feelings.  It's not about what we want.  It's not about what is fair and what isn't.  It's about God, the Eternal Creator of this universe.  He's God and He's just.  And when we surrender to His Will, we'll be able to live our lives in joy, peace and contentment! It's very liberating!!!