Tuesday, January 29, 2013

"Since I only had 6 grams of sugar, can I have another one?" he asked.

Michael and I got a head start on Valentine cards for his classmates.  We found ones that didn't have a super hero, pop star or a popular cartoon character theme (no easy feat!) and packaged them with a mini fruit roll-up snack. It was a total treat because I don't even buy those for my kids! We had a few extra and of course, Michael was salivating over them.  So, I let him have one with the strict instructions that we had to brush his teeth right after because they're a cavity-inducing sweet treat. After he had one, he turned over the package and read how many grams of sugar it contained and asked if he could have another one since there were only 6 grams of sugar! In your dreams, baby boy!

The other day, the eye doctor had given me drops to dilate my pupils for a screening. Unfortunately, I had to go grocery shopping right afterwards and discovered I couldn't read my list or coupons because the drops blur your vision for a few hours.  Aaarrrggghhhh! It was one of the most frustrating moments ever!!! I had to rely on Michael to read me the labels from the coupons and then find the right product with the correct ounce that the coupon listed! He also had to read my list for me---he was a life-saver for my sanity! He kept remarking, "Wow, mommy! I can't believe you can't even see that!" Yeah, me either! Boy was I ever so happy when my vision returned to normal later that evening!

I was reading Philippians 4 today and it struck me that when we get caught up in worrying about the future, our finances, our careers (or lack of one!) or get stuck in lamenting over what used to be or what could be, we're setting ourselves up for discontentment and turmoil. These negative and ungodly attitudes are like the eye drops that prohibited me from seeing clearly that day! We need the peace of God to guard our hearts just like the Word of God puts it in Phil. 4 to clear our eye sight! I love the NLT's (New Living Translation) version of Philippians 4:6-8...

Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.
And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise.

So, in this new year, let's both strive to replace our discontentment, fears, doubts and worries with thoughts that are true, honorable, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent and things that are worthy of praise :o) Thanks, Apostle Paul for your timeless message!