Thursday, July 14, 2011

"I'll Take An iPhone, Daddy! I Want One!"

I haven't been sleeping well (or sleeping much!) with the strange weather changes here in soCal.  Driving to the rink everyday stretches me as I would much rather be back in bed under the covers! However, I can count on Michael to keep me awake with his a billion-one-questions.  He'll ask me "Mommy, tell me everything you know about cars" (on days I'm alert, I'm happy to go into detail about the little I know about cars but on days I'm barely able to concentrate I give him the short answer:  "Very little.") or "Mommy, tell me how to drive the car" (Ummm, why?  Are you planning to drive for me?  And of course, his answer is YES!) or lately, he's been curious about moss (and this is NOT because we came across it on a hike or something outdoorsy because I don't do hikes or outdoorsy stuff! It's because I bought a shirt that was the color of moss green when I was shopping with the kids one day), so he'll go, "Mommy, I want to know everything you know about moss.  What does it look like?  How does it grow?  Can you find it by waterfalls?"  Sadly, I've had to tell him I know very little about moss other than you can probably find it in the forest or on rocks near waterfalls and he replied, "We better look it up!"

Sometimes he can make my brain hurt with all his random questions!!! I usually try to do my best to answer him with as much detail as possible because I want to encourage his questions and curiosity.  I was thinking today that I can't wait til he can read so I can introduce him to those Dorling Kindersley (the DK books that are so detailed and age appropriate!) reference books for kids!

Michael LOVES the color green.  Ironically, he's not a fan of ingesting green things unless they're green gummy bears, green Jelly Belly's, green Skittles, etc.! Today, I made a spinach salad with Craisins, mandarin oranges, crumbled bacon and croutons with a Asian Sesame dressing (I get mine from Costco!).  Michael was eating everything but the spinach with gusto.  Naturally, right?  So I made him eat one little piece to try it (hey, I even put it on top of a mandarin orange so it wouldn't taste so bland!) and he wanted to spit it out immediately.  I told him he had to chew and swallow it and he started crying while sputtering, "Bleh! This is disgusting! I never want to eat it ever again! It's so disgusting!!!" Seriously?  You barely had it in your mouth before wanting to eject it.  Now, tell me how you really feel...! Sigh.  He'll eat baby peas with crumbled bacon and broccoli on occasion.  Otherwise, he's trying to live a green free life.

Ahhh...ya gotta love kids and technology, right?!?  Tonight I got to hang out with some of the women from our small group and the whole family tagged along (they were at a different table so I was switching places constantly!).  It was really fun, but I couldn't stay long because Michael needed to be put down early since he missed his afternoon nap.  Plus, I got in after midnight after a MOMSnext leadership meeting and didn't get to bed until after 2am so I was feeling a bit peaked. 

In the car, Michael was playing with Krista's iTouch and we were commenting how we never saw the Apple deal about purchasing a computer and getting a free iTouch.  Jacob was telling Krista she should just get an iPhone but she was more interested in getting the newer iTouch.  Here's a snippet of that conversation...

Krista: But I like my phone! It's small and sleeker.  The iPhones are so big and clunky!

Me:  Yeah, I don't know that we need a iPhone because Krista would rather have the new iTouch.

Michael:  I'll take an iPhone, Daddy! I want one!

He has been asking for an iPhone whenever we discuss Apple products and the funny thing is, the conversation is usually between Jacob, Krista and I, but Michael always finds a way to inject himself in our discussions!

This child LOVES electronics.  He's very comfortable with the computer, computer games, the Wii (he can set it up himself as long as we give him the remote that's too high for him to reach!), hand held devices, etc.  We have to have all sorts of parental controls and passwords set up on the computer because he's going to navigate his way around the internet and stumble on something that's not appropriate.  In fact, I know exactly what he loves because he's very happy to verbalize it!

The Bible is very clear about the link between our hearts and our mouths.  In  the Amplified Bible, Luke 6:45 goes like this, "The upright (honorable, intrinsically good) man out of the good treasure [stored] in his heart produces what is upright (honorable and intrinsically good), and the evil man out of the evil storehouse brings forth that which is depraved (wicked and intrinsically evil); for out of the abundance (overflow) of the heart his mouth speaks."

I also love how the Amplified Bible puts Proverbs 4:23:  "Keep and guard your heart with all vigilance and above all that you guard, for out of it flow the springs of life."

You can't get much clearer than that, right?!?